Thursday, July 8, 2010

Bharat Bandh – What can I do ?


When I got the news that Monday is Bharat Bandh, my first feeling was of happiness. Wow, I will have an extended weekend. I can spend quality time at home with my entire family. ‘I hate Luv storys’ seems to be a good movie and has got decent reviews. Lets watch it …

I have witnessed many Bharat Bandhs and Mumbai Bandhs. But earlier, I used to get very agitated and had many questions like why do we have these bandhs? What purpose does it achieve? Why cause such a big loss to our own nation? Is this the right way to fight our own government? No, I should do something about it. However, my agitation always culminated in frustration – what can I do about all this! I am just a common man and have no power to do anything. And now, over the years, my frustration has also gradually receded and I have accepted the situation. Even better, I have started seeking personal happiness within the boundaries of the unchangeable situation.

So, when I first heard of Bharat Bandh on Monday, my feeling was of happiness. I enjoyed a relaxing extended weekend with my family, switching the TV news channels which fed status updates of the bandh as breaking news in my living room. And yes, now I can also recommend that ‘I hate Luv storys’ is a good movie.

The next day, we had a discussion in our class where maam asked us what did we do on the bandh? I hesitated to mention that I had a good time with my family. Later I tried to introspect. If I am really happy with how I spent my bandh holiday, why did I hesitate to mention about it. Am I really happy? No. I realized that finding personal happiness within the boundaries of unchangeable situation is like faking my happiness. It is just like a mask. Somewhere deep inside, I am still unhappy. I know I cannot change the situation. So what do I do to be really happy?

It was then that I remembered one of our Gita Shibir learning. ‘Judge yourself by your efforts, not the outcome’.

Wow.. This is the answer. So the next time there is a bandh, I will want to somehow contribute against the futility of such bandhs. I have not yet decided on how I will contribute, it may be something like writing this blog. But I am sure that in whichever way I contribute, my squirrel's efforts will be in the highest and best interest of our nation, both in thought and action. And I can find true happiness in my genuine efforts, and not be disillusioned by the outcome of my efforts. And if many common men start to think like this, and also start to happily contribute genuine efforts without getting disheartened by the failed outcomes, I feel we can soon reach a critical mass where our genuine efforts can create a significant impact.

--By Reuben Moses Ezekiel

No comments:

Post a Comment